Kabelvåg is a village in Vågan Municipality in Nordland county, Norway. It is located on the southern shore of the island of Austvågøya in the Lofoten archipelago. Kabelvåg lies about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) to the southwest of the town of Svolvær, the administrative centre of Vågan municipality. The 1.13-square-kilometre (280-acre) village has a population (2018) of 1,883 which gives the village a population density of 1,666 inhabitants per square kilometre (4,310/sq mi)
The village was founded as "Vågan" in the early 12th century by King Øystein Magnusson, who built a church and a fishermen's hostel there. According to the Heimskringla, there was something resembling a town there several centuries earlier — the first known town in North Norway, known as "Vågar".
There are several attractions in Kabelvåg: the Lofoten Museum, Lofoten Aquarium, and Espolin Gallery. Vågan Church (also known as the Lofoten Cathedral) is located in Kabelvåg. The European route E10 highway runs through the village.
The oldest traces of settlement in Kabelvåg are from the late stone age, with possible traces of human activity going as far back as the early stone age. There are only sparse traces of settlements in the area now known as Kabelvåg during the Iron age.
A couple of kilometers west of the present-day center of Kabelvåg, Vágar existed as a city between 1000 and 1400. It was Northern Norway's first city. During the Middle ages the settlement known as Vågan experienced a rise in importance. This happens mostly because of the seasonal fishing, "Lofotfisket", which mostly takes part in an area of the sea known as Hølla, located between modern day Kabelvåg, Svolvær, and Skrova.
Photo by Ansgar Scheffold